Saturday, July 12, 2008

A Night at the Drive-In

We went to the Starlite Drive-In a few weeks ago. I had only been a few times in my lifetime and I thought we should start taking the kids so they can experience watching a movie the way Grandpa and Grandma used to watch movies. Plus, it's so cheap! So, we got the kids hopped up on Mountain Dew and headed to the Drive-In. The first movie didn't start until 9:35 (way past bedtime) so they'd need that caffeine boost to keep them going.The weather was perfect....cool, hardly any breeze, barely a cloud in the sky...it was just perfect.

We were one of the first into the parking area so we had great seating/parking. Amber thought these speakers were pretty cool. I guess she wanted stereo sound.

The girls spent part of the evening watching the movies in the car using the FM radio signal for their sound (in stereo) and Andrew & I stayed outside and shared the headphones on my Zune for audio. The old relics above put out enough sound to cover the ear without a headphone.

While we were waiting for the movies to start, Andrew thought he'd test out his new red Chuck Taylor Converse shoes and jump over a puddle several times. I never knew sticking out your toungue could make you jump farther.

Here's where we started the night...sitting in front of the car waiting to see "Wall-E" and "Kung Fu Panda". They were both really fun movies to see. Did I mention how perfect the weather was? It was a great first experience for the kids and they really want to go back again soon. I'm sure we will.

And, here's how we finished the night...at 1:30/AM. Both kids stayed awake for both movies, which really impressed Sara and me. We were both pretty tired so were surprised the kids were doing OK. If you're ever in Wichita, you should really try and catch a movie at the Starlite Drive-In. Drive-In's are so few and far between that you'd be lucky to do this at all. If you're interested, here is their website for more information: www.starlitefun.com



1 comment:

junebug said...

I love drive-in's! Last time I was at Starlite was over 10 years ago for one of those terrible movies about stunts that go bad (like really bad - death type bad). FYI the only two drive-in's I have been to are Starlite and the Salina one that is now a Candlewood Suites.